Seamless Roofing Explained
Depending on your personal knowledge regarding roofing systems, you may be asking yourself “what exactly is seamless roofing?”. That is understandable. Seamless roofing refers to a sprayed or rolled on system that places a synthetic barrier over the top of your entire existing roofing structure. It is done without any form of seam, hence the name. This type of roofing is also known as “monolithic”, meaning it is all in a single piece.
Seamless roofing systems are rather popular, in both commercial and residential settings. In various forms, this concept has been around for over 50 years and has a tried-and-true reputation. However, it isn’t appropriate for every roof. Seamless roofing systems are generally best applied to low-slope or flat roofing structures. You can call us at Roof Central for seamless roofing help in Raleigh, NC. Dial (919) 808-5111 today.
Seamless roofing systems, depending on type, can be applied over just about any form of existing system, including:
- Modified bitumen
- Spray foam
- And more.
Benefits of Seamless Roofing Systems
[xyz-ihs snippet=”Free-Local-Quote”] There are many benefits to a seamless roofing system. Some are pretty obvious, and others may be surprising. Here are just a few.
- Seamless. Yep, that’s the most obvious. It is also one of the most crucial. Seams are the most common point of failure in a roofing system. Eliminate the seams, eliminate that risk. This reduces the potential for moisture seeping in and causing damage to the system, and the underlying structure itself.
- Durable. Seamless roofing systems have been found to be extremely durable, with some systems lasting as long as 20 years with appropriate preventative maintenance and depending on location.
- Strong. Seamless roofing systems are designed to stand up to hail and heavy winds, as well as provide protection from UV damage, pollution, and other environmental factors. Some systems are treated to resist algae and mold growth too.
- Energy Efficient. There are options that include built-in reflectivity. This allows up to 85% of the sun’s heat to be reflected away from the roof. That reduces the interior temperature of the building, resulting in cost savings of 30% to 50% on your cooling bills, depending on your location.
- Eliminates Leaks. If your current system does have areas of leakage, the installation of a seamless roofing system covers the leaking area, reinforcing the roofing system and eliminating the existing leakage problem.
- Flexible. The elasticized nature of coatings allows for expansion and contraction, in response to the extreme temperature changes our NC weather can provide. This flexibility is one of the primary factors for the system’s durability.
Types of Seamless Roofing Systems
There are 2 primary forms of seamless roofing. The first is a coating, and the second is a spray on foam. Each offers its own set of benefits.
- Coatings. Seamless roof coatings have a base of acrylic or silicone, depending on the type of system selected. The coating is applied via a roll-on or a spray-on method, depending on the materials. All parts of the roofing structure, including flashings and protrusions (around the bottom of air conditioners, vents, etc.) are treated with the coating. Seamed areas in your existing roofing system may be pre-treated with a fabric-type material to reinforce the area prior to the application of the coating system.
- Spray Foam. Spray foam, commonly known as SPF for sprayed polyurethane foam, is exactly what it sounds like. Though there are different foam structures, that is probably more than you want to know right now. Basically speaking, the foam is sprayed directly onto your existing roofing system. As the foam expands, it seals in the existing system, providing a single layer of protection. Like the coating option, all parts of the roofing structure are covered. Again, seams may be pre-treated where appropriate.
Want more information on seamless roofing systems for your roof? Call the seamless roofing experts at Roof Central today at (919) 808-5111. We will schedule a consultation and discuss how a seamless roofing system will benefit you and your residential or commercial roof.