The Pros of a Cool Roof
Everyone is concerned about the environment, and even more concerned about their pocketbook. Cool roof technology addresses both of those concerns in one attractive and easy package.
Roof Central is dedicated to maintaining our reputation as the premiere roofing company in the Triangle Area. Part of that elite status is an expertise in cutting edge technology and using only the most advanced, highest quality materials available in the roofing industry. That is why the team at Roof Central has worked hard to make ourselves experts in cool roof technology, installation, and application.
What is a “Cool” Roof?
[xyz-ihs snippet=”Free-Local-Quote”]A “cool” roof is one that is intentionally designed to reflect more of the sun’s heat away from the building than a traditional roof.
A cool roof can be achieved through various means. Which works best in your situation depends primarily on what type of roof you currently have, and what you prefer.
- Flat or Low-Slope Roofs. These roof styles can achieve cool roof status with the use of single-ply membranes, coatings, or spray foam directly to the roofing structure or the existing roofing system. These systems can be designed during initial construction or integrated post-construction with a roofing renovation.
- Metal Roofs. Unpainted metal roofs are naturally great reflectors, but they lack the insulation necessary to manage thermal fluctuations and qualify as a cool roof. However, you can correct that with the addition of certain types of reflective paint or adding a cool roof coating.
- Steep-Slope Roofs. Steep sloped roofs are generally constructed with the use of either shingles or tiles. Some manufacturers now produce shingles specifically designed to increase solar reflectivity and are available on the market.
- Tiles. Depending on color and materials, tiles may be naturally cool, or a glaze/coating can be applied to achieve cool roof status.
Advantages of a “Cool” Roof
Cool roof technology offers so many advantages, that it’s hard to list just a few. However, here are probably the most important:
- Energy Efficient. Depending on the system, cool roofs can reflect up to 85% of the sun’s heat away from the roof of your building. That keeps the interior cooler and reduces the workload on your air conditioning.
- Saves Money. Reduced air conditioning costs can save you 30% to 50% on your utility bill, depending on your location.
- Smaller Carbon Footprint. Reduced air conditioning results in reduced demand for electricity. This reduces power plant emissions of greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, sulfur dioxide, and mercury.
- Increased Roof Longevity. By reflecting heat and damaging UV rays away from the structure, the service life of your roof may be extended.
- Improved Indoor Comfort. Even areas that are not air conditioned, such as garages, patios, etc. will be cooler with cool roof technology, and more comfortable to enjoy.
- Incentives. Some areas offer credits or incentives for the installation of cool roof technology.
- Urban Heat Islands. There is currently a study out that indicates the presence of increased cool roofs in urban settings could reduce the instance of urban heat islands and even reduce the intensity of extreme heat events in those areas.
Ready to learn more? Call the cool roof experts at Roof Central today at (919) 808-5111. We will schedule a no-obligation consultation and discuss how cool roof technology can improve your life and business. We look forward to hearing from you soon.